Sunday, September 21, 2008

The 6ths

After a massive computer failure yesterday, I've been trying to recover a few songs that I don't have the album to. In that search I came across The 6ths, who are a side project of a Mr. Stephin Merritt. Yeah, I've never heard of him either...but, unlike Stephin's other side projects (The Gothic Arches and Future Bible Heroes), he does not touch a single instrument or sing a single word. That's right, Stephin might have written the words and music, but everything is performed entirely by other people. Where (I've read) the first 6ths album was more indie-pop, Hyacinths And Thistles heads more down the "chanson" path. Think Serge Gainsbourg with his Galoises and a Moog (or guitar, or something else) singing for you in some dusty café in late October. Anyways, it's a nice sound for fall. The 6ths on myspace.

Just take a listen to
Lindy-Lou .mp3

(and because I can, here's what I was looking for when I came across the 6ths)
If You Rescue Me (Chanson des Chats) .mp3

and the video because I like it. Gael Garcia in a kitten suit singing about kittens. Dang.

No comments: